Senior citizens and persons with disabilities maintain their independence and self-reliance, and continue to participate in community activities. The Independent Living Pathway leads to dignity and choices throughout life.
|(Click to watch video)|
Customer Impacts (fiscal year 2018-19)
- 3,785 adults age 65+ and 1,198 individuals with disabilities
maintained independent living situations.
- 72 older adults demonstrated increased nutrition skills.
- 42 seniors received home modifications and/or assistive devices to maintain independence.
- 155 adults obtained access to health screening services.
- 3,098 individuals registered for STEP Transportation maintained their independence by receiving rides to medical appointments, work, and other activities.
- 152 seniors stayed in their homes while receiving nursing facility level of care.
- 244 Adult Protective Services investigations from 546 reports of need ensured the health, safety, and financial security of older adults.
- 1,430 tax returns were filed through AARP Tax Aide, with $1,058,722 in federal returns for customers. 621 property tax rebates were filed for $211,847 in rebates.
New! Take a look at our Volunteer Newsletter!
APPRISE is a free health insurance counseling program designed to help all Pennsylvanians with Medicare. APPRISE counselors are specially trained staff and volunteers who can answer your questions and provide you with objective, easy-to-understand information. Call us today to schedule your appointment: 570-601-9572 (Lycoming County) or 570-858-5800 (Clinton County)
STEP Office of Aging
Judy Elliott, former college professor who retired early due to health matters, recently sent a letter to Office of Aging director Fred Shrimp. A participant and volunteer at the Clinton County Senior Community Center in Lock Haven, Judy wrote…. “I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy and appreciate the Center. I started with Tai Chi, then added Healthy Steps, then Use Your Noodle. We started a knitting group and then started a Zentangle-inspired art group. Now we are doing the Healthy Aging through Local Harvest program, and I am the runner for a Meals on Wheels route on Fridays. I have such a nice group of friends there (at the Center). The Center has provided me with new activities, new friends and renewed purpose. I look forward to my continued involvement.”
“I would like to thank STEP Transportation for all of your service to us ‘older folks.’ There was a situation where there was a mix-up with a trip and the dispatcher did his best and set me up with a ride. The van was here pretty quickly and I was on my way. The van was also at the doctor’s office right when I got out! Whew! What a relief! So, again I’d like to thank you for all of my rides as I use the van more and more as my physical condition gets worse. It’s always a pleasure.”
STEP Transportation Customer
“I have dealt with the public all my life and your drivers are top of the line. They are unbelievably pleasant
and I cannot say enough good things about them.”
STEP Transportation Customer