Senior citizens and persons with disabilities maintain their independence and self-reliance, and continue to participate in community activities. The Independent Living Pathway leads to dignity and choices throughout life.
|(Click to watch video)|
Customer Impacts (fiscal year 2016-17)
- 4,582 senior citizens and 2,032 individuals with disabilities
were able to continue living independently.
- 121,019 meals were provided to 770 people through STEP Office of Aging’s Meals on Wheels program, while 28,073 congregate meals were served.
- 1,233 customers in tax preparation programs qualified for federal or state tax credits in the amount of $841,943.
- 155 seniors were able to remain in their homes instead of a nursing facility through the Aging Waiver program.
- 110,302 one-way trips were provided through STEP Transportation, bringing approximately $290,914 in savings for 1,251 riders receiving reduced fares.
- 360 reports of need were filed and 149 investigations were conducted by Protective Service workers.
NEW! “STEP’N Out!” is a way for individuals age 60+ to experience local and regional history, entertainment, and landmarks. Transportation for the program is free of charge. Participants are responible for the cost of any admission fees and the cost of their meal.
To view our upcoming trips, Click Here!
STEP Office of Aging
Judy Elliott, former college professor who retired early due to health matters, recently sent a letter to Office of Aging director Fred Shrimp. A participant and volunteer at the Clinton County Senior Community Center in Lock Haven, Judy wrote…. “I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy and appreciate the Center. I started with Tai Chi, then added Healthy Steps, then Use Your Noodle. We started a knitting group and then started a Zentangle-inspired art group. Now we are doing the Healthy Aging through Local Harvest program, and I am the runner for a Meals on Wheels route on Fridays. I have such a nice group of friends there (at the Center). The Center has provided me with new activities, new friends and renewed purpose. I look forward to my continued involvement.”
“I would like to thank STEP Transportation for all of your service to us ‘older folks.’ There was a situation where there was a mix-up with a trip and the dispatcher did his best and set me up with a ride. The van was here pretty quickly and I was on my way. The van was also at the doctor’s office right when I got out! Whew! What a relief! So, again I’d like to thank you for all of my rides as I use the van more and more as my physical condition gets worse. It’s always a pleasure.”
STEP Transportation Customer
“I have dealt with the public all my life and your drivers are top of the line. They are unbelievably pleasant
and I cannot say enough good things about them.”
STEP Transportation Customer