PHFA CARES Rent Relief Program
The Federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act, passed in March, provided $3.9 billion for Pennsylvania and is intended to help people hurt economically during the pandemic. In late May, the General Assembly directed $175 million of these CARES dollars to PHFA to provide assistance for struggling renters and homeowners. The portion for rent assistance is at least $150 million.
STEP, Inc. is one of the organizations identified by PHFA to process the large number of rent relief applications anticipated. Below you will find the applications needed to request CARES rental assistance. Links are also provided to additional helpful information.
Residents of Lycoming County will submit their applications and supporting paperwork to STEP, Inc.
- Mail - Attn: CARES Rent Relief, STEP, Inc., 2138 Lincoln Street, Williamsport, PA 17701
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Residents of Clinton County will mail or email their applications and supporting paperwork to Clinton County Housing Coalition.
- Mail - Attn: CARES Rent Relief, Clinton County Housing Coalition, 330 East Main Street, Lock Haven, PA 17745
- Email - email@example.com
- Phone - 570.502.1534
Steps to apply:
- There are 3 applications provided below. Print all 3. The applications require both renter and landlord involvement.
- Complete all 3 applications. The landlord must complete the landlord application and the landlord-property certification.
- Mail your 3 applications and supporting paperwork to your participating county organization, or you can e-mail them.
Supporting paperwork includes:
- Pre-COVID employment/income documentation (Pay stub and/or employer verification)
- Post-COVID employment/income documentation (Pay stub; and/or Unemployment Compensation verification; and/or employer verification)
- Copy of lease or proof of oral agreement
- W-9 for landlord
- STEP General Registration and Assessment
Wait to hear from your county organization on whether you are approved.